Monday, September 26, 2011

Playing Catch Up

Things have finally slowed down a little... for a few days anyway. So it's time to play catch up before I get even more behind!
My parents came up two weekends ago. Friday afternoon Rog went golfing with my dad and then we went to Pizza Pie Cafe for dinner. My parents watched Corby while we did some initiatories in the Provo temple.
Saturday was the BYU vs. Utah game. Before the game Grandma Lori shared her Jamba Juice with Corby. He loved it!
We made a quick stop at the BYU Bookstore where Grandma Lori bought him his first BYU hat! And then we went over to our family tailgate where Corby's Great Grandpa Ririe gave him a BYU flag. He loved that too!
While we were at the bookstore, I couldn't resist buying myself a new hat too. You can't see it in this picture, but there's a Y on the other side. New hat twinners!
I made these cookies for the tailgate. They were delicious! I'm pretty sure it was the buttercream frosting that made them though. I actually wasn't all that impressed with the sugar cookie recipe. My MIL's is just as good and actually easier to work with.
Because the game was so late, Grandma Lori took Corby home and put him to bed.
We wore our "friends don't let friends go to the University of Utah" shirts that Jared made for us for Christmas last year.
After one particularly bad play, I decided to go get us a blue raspberry snow cone. Because snow cones make everything better, right? Wrong... I don't think we could have eaten enough snow cones to make that game better. But it was still a good snow cone. (And look, a picture where you can actually see the Y on my hat!)
We bought season tickets (not all-sport passes) because we didn't really go to any other sports last year. (Other than 1 basketball game.) We bought the cheapest season tickets available and they were cheaper than all-sport passes. We got them with our friends, Bill and Mariah. It was actually Mariah's first football game... I don't know why we are smiling because at this point in the game there was nothing to smile about. At least she has probably already gotten her worst football game ever out of the way! They don't get worse than that!
We stayed until the bitter end! It was the longest, most painful game ever. Seriously. We haven't lost that bad to Utah since 1922! Final score: 10-54.
Moving on...
On Monday night Mariah and I canned peaches. We started around 6:30 and didn't finish until 12:30! Rog says I'm not allowed to can during the week anymore - only on Saturdays when I can start in the morning!
On Tuesday I started taking a Photoshop class through Spanish Fork's Community School. I learned a lot from Jared, but this class should be really good for me.
On Thursday I had my dinner group. I've mentioned it before, but I didn't really explain it. It's a group of Mariah's friends that get together on the 4th Thursday of every month to have dinner. She invited me to join the group a few months ago and it's been so fun. We take turns hosting. The host does the main course and everyone else signs up for the sides, drink, and dessert. This month the theme was Chinese. My MIL has an egg roll recipe she is famous for, so I decided to do that. They turned out just as good as hers - I was so proud!
On Friday night we had the BYU vs. UCF (University of Central Florida) game. For the tailgate I made Sloppy Joes and my Peach Crisp. Usually Rog doesn't like Sloppy Joes, but these really were very good.
Grandma Lori wasn't around to watch Corby, so we took him in for the first half. We were a little nervous about how he would do, but he did GREAT! I think he was a little intimidated by all the noise. He sat on my lap for 95% of the time with his little hands holding mine as tightly as he could! He did loosen up a little bit towards the end of the half, but he only ventured as far as his dad's lap.
I took him home at halftime because it was his bedtime. We had heard that UCF was good, so we were a little worried it would be a repeat of the Utah game. But fortunately we pulled out a win! 24-17! I got text updates from Rog and then went right to bed when the game was over - completely exhausted from a busy week. Traffic was bad coming home and he had to stop to get milk, so Rog didn't crawl into bed until 11:30 - 2 hours after I had gone to bed!
On Saturday I went to a baby shower for one of my second cousins on my mom's side. Her mom, LaNae, was the host. She is my mom's cousin who sells Vinyl quotes on Etsy. (I've mentioned her shop before.) She is always posting cute ideas for everything on her Facebook page, so I knew it would be an adorable shower. It did not disappoint!
After that I met Rog and Corb at our BIL, Phat Tony's 25th birthday party. I knew it was at a park in Mapleton, but Rog wasn't answering his phone. Luckily I drove right to it!
Last night we went to dinner at Dave and Julie's. Julie is Roger's cousin who lives in Spanish Fork. She has 6 perfect kids (ranging from 13 years to 8 months) and her husband is the bishop. Every time we go over there, I'm in complete awe of how perfect her house is, how well-behaved her kids are, and how delicious her food is!
And that brings us to the present time! Phew, congrats if you made it this far!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Rachel said...

You've sure been busy!!! Bryan doesn't usually like sloppy joes either, but he loved that recipe! Once again, Kate and Sara are my heroes.

Emily said...

Your family is always so planned out with lots of fun stuff to do- of course there is never a dull moment!

I hate Mariah!! She is replacing me!!!! Ok fine, I don't hate her. She sounds delightful. I just miss you guys is all.

By the way, WE are hat twinners! I have that same one. It sure is dang cute!

Mom Lori said...

Glad I shared my Jamba with The Corb. It was fun to watch him enjoy every sip!
Good thing we snuck in that trip to BYU Bookstore - Corby's BYU look wouldn't be complete without the hat! Love your matching hat Shauna :)
The cookies were very delicious and the peaches and egg rolls look good enough to eat - hehe
I bet Mariah was relieved to see that BYU can pull off a win - hope there are many more to follow!
I wish I could get Corby to sit on my lap and hold my hand - maybe some day . . .

tracy said...

You guys are so cute!