Sunday, February 18, 2018

Super Saturday

October 14th was Super Saturday. Shannah, my activities coordinator, had just had a baby, so we told her to take this activity off. It was quite the undertaking and nearly took over my life in September and the first two weeks of October! But it was also fun and very rewarding. I learned so so much and am planning on doing it again, so I can apply the things I learned and make it even better the second time.

 We combined with the Sunnyside ward. Trish Davis, the Sunnyside RS president, is amazing to work with. Her 2nd counselor over activities works a lot, so Trish is much more involved in activities than the RS president in our ward is.

I made this poster to advertise the event.


We invited the Young Women to attend and also had them help with the nursery. After the event the 1st counselor in our presidency said she didn't know the Young Women were invited. This made me want to scream because it was right there on the poster as well as in every email we sent out about the event. She had some stressful stuff going on at the time, but it makes me crazy how people don't read things!

Sunnyside went a little crazy and offered 11 projects/classes. Next year I'm going to recommend that they stick to 6 solid offerings! They did temple plaques, ruler growth charts, blessings jars, lighted potpourri jars, simmering potpourri jars, Jacob's ladder wooden toys, cards and gift tags, painted coasters, tile coasters, skin exfoliates, and a cupcake fondant class. 

Our ward offered 6 projects/classes. 


We offered the first bag free and then charged $1 for each bag after that. We had a few do just 1, but most people who signed up for this one signed up for a lot!

For Super Saturday we bought burlap bags off Amazon, so no one would have to sew 80 burlap bags. I cut out vinyl stencils with my Silhouette. We had three options - a tree, a snowflake, and a reindeer.

I decided to make these for the homemade gift I gave our family for Christmas. I sewed my bags because I preferred the look of homemade burlap bags, but of course I was only making 15. I put a cinnamon pinecone in the bags I gave out. 



We offered these for $5 each and we had 10 sign up.

I brought my computer and printer to the church, so I didn't have to worry about collecting information before the event. These boards could be personalized to work for families of all sizes. Some did an opening prayer and a closing prayer if they had 6 in their family or others combined a few or dropped a few if they had less in their family.

I had a 1-inch circle punch (for mom, dad, and shorter names like Logan) and a 1 1/4-inch circle punch (for longer names like Corbyn and Peyton). I had a few different gray options for the backing paper and then I just brought all my scrapbook paper, so they could personalize the color for the names. I used jumbo clear gems for the tops. And I got the frames from IKEA.



We charged $2 per dish etched and we did about 25 dishes total. Most people did a few dishes each. We said they could do a 9x13, a 9x9, a 6x10, or a bread pan. Most signed up for the 9x13 option and a few signed up for the 6x10 or 9x9 options, but no one signed up to do a bread pan. In addition to dish size, they had to sign up for what name they wanted etched and what font they wanted. I had 3 font options.


This was super easy. I cut the names with my Silhouette. (Only trick is you have to remember to mirror the image before you cut it!) We bought all our vinyl and transfer tape from Expressions Vinyl and did a big order, so we got free shipping + 10% off. 

We ran into a problem with older Pyrex dishes though. The glass etching bottle said that it wouldn't work on all Pyrex, but I figured they just had to say that. It worked on all the Pyrex dishes I did and most of them are from when we got married almost 11 years ago, but it didn't work for some of the older ladies who brought their Pyrex dishes from when they got married 20+ years ago. So if we do this again, I'll definitely mention that! Everyone was super nice about it and understood it wasn't our fault. I offered to cut more vinyl for anyone who wanted to buy a new dish and etch that one and I tried to refund the money for those who didn't want to do that, but they wouldn't let me. 


Framed Signs

Jill Ellison (wife of the 1st counselor in the Stake President) did these and they were super popular! She charged $9 and we had 19 people sign up for a total of 33 signs. She had this Grateful Thankful Blessed option as well as a Home Sweet Home option. If we do something like this again, we'll have to put a limit on them because some people signed up for a bunch and they take a lot of prep work beforehand. 


I signed up for one, but was way too busy to make mine during the actual event. I finally got around to making it in January when I had a few ladies over to finish theirs with me.

Bow Class

Kristen Tutt makes bows and sells them on Etsy. She was kind enough to teach a class on how to make them and everyone could make up to 3 bows for free. It was a super popular class and I really wish I could have attended. We had 30+ sign up for this class although not everyone who signed up attended.



I wish I took a picture of the Relief Society room all set up for this because it was quite the job getting it all ready. We used the skinny seminary tables (that I've learned are common to churches where early morning seminary is held outside of Utah) and had extension cords/power strips galore. We had about 15 glue guns set up, so no one would have to share with too many people.

Cupcake Tips and Tricks

Finally we had a cupcake decorating class taught by one of the ladies on my committee, Sandy Valentine. She taught how to make a Minnie Mouse cupcake, a rose swirl cupcake, and a Cookie Monster cupcake. We had about 15 sign up - although again, not everyone who signed up came.


I drew this map on a white board for everyone to see as they walked in. After I finished, I stepped back and realized I should have done it bigger, but there was no way I was going to erase it and do it again!


For lunch we had people sign up to bring crockpot soups. We provided rolls from Great Harvest and Pumpkin Snickerdoodles for dessert. (I made a huge batch of about 150 cookies a few weeks before the event and froze them.) We also had wassail and apple cider. We all brought our autumn decorations to decorate the food tables.

This was before the event.


During the event.


And my kitchen after I had unloaded my car after the event.


Only 2 of these crockpots are mine. I had borrowed 3 since I was doing all the drinks and 1 soup.


We went out to Applebee's to celebrate Super Saturday being done that night! Although we weren't technically done since not everyone who signed up came. We had a few activities to finish up projects, but those were easy after the main event!

0 comments: