Friday, April 19, 2019

First Quarter Reading

I didn't actually read that many more books this quarter than I did last quarter (and I listened to way less), but it just felt like such a better quarter of reading for me. I was on a Newbery kick and many of the books I read and listened to with the kids won Newbery Medals or are Newbery Honor books.  

Books I Read


Books I Listened to


Excellent

1. The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton. During a summer party, 16 year old Laurel has escaped to her childhood treehouse. From the treehouse she watches as her mother speaks to a stranger and then commits a shocking crime. 50 years later as the family gathers for their mother's 90th birthday party, Laurel searches for answers to questions from that day that still haunt her. I bought the Kindle version of this over 3 years ago after I read The Lake House, but didn't get around to reading it until my friend Megan encouraged me to read it. The ending really made the book for me. It's one that I won't soon forget!

2. What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen. After Mclean's parents get a divorce, she opts to move around with her father rather than live with her mother and her new family. Every time they move, she invents a new person to be. Now she doesn't even really know who she is anymore. This one is probably one of my top 3 Sarah Dessen books. (The Truth About Forever and Once and For All are my other favorites.)

Great

3. Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen. When Colie is forced to go live with her crazy aunt, Mira, in a small beach town for the summer while her mom goes on a European Summer Fitness Tour promoting her fitness line, she doesn't expect much from the summer. She certainly doesn't expect to meet two friends who show her what true friendship is all about. This wasn't my favorite of Sarah Dessen's books that I've read, but it was enjoyable and it definitely wasn't my least favorite of her books either. (Just Listen currently holds that position.)

4. Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty. Nine people gather at a remote health resort to spend 10 days changing their lives. They don't really know what to expect, but they're in for quite a surprise from the strange and charismatic owner/director of Tranquillum House. I've read every book Liane Moriarty has written, so of course I was going to read this one. I was at the mercy of very long library hold lines and only could keep it for 2 weeks at a time, but I eventually got it read after a few times getting my hands on it. It wasn't my favorite of hers (I don't think anything will ever top What Alice Forgot.), but it was definitely worth reading.

5. Can You Keep a Secret by Sophie Kinsella. Frightened by some turbulence, Emma shares all her secrets with a handsome stranger on a plane. But come Monday morning, Emma discovers that handsome stranger is actually the elusive CEO of the company she works for. I listened to this one on Libby and at first found Emma so annoying that I almost stopped listening to it, but then of course I got sucked into the story and was actually able to finish it before it automatically returned itself. (I can't say the same thing about 2 other books I started listening to this quarter.)

Books I Read to Corbyn and Peyton


Mr. Popper's Penguins by Florence and Richard Atwater. A humble house painter is sent a male penguin by Admiral Drake and, thanks to the arrival of a female penguin, soon has twelve penguins living in his house. This is a classic that I hadn't read before. (At least that I can remember anyway.) As I was reading it to the kids, I could easily see why it has stood the test of time. 

The Wide-Awake Princess by E.D. Baker. Princess Annie is the younger sister to Gwen, the princess destined to be Sleeping Beauty. When Gwen pricks her finger and the whole castle (other than Annie who is impervious to magic) falls asleep, Annie must venture out beyond the castle to find Gwen's true love to kiss her awake. After finishing The Frog Princess series, the kids and I decided to try out this series also by E.D. Baker. So far we have been enjoying it just as much as The Frog Princess!

Unlocking the Spell by E.D. Baker. Now that Annie has awaken Gwen from the curse, she has to help find the evil dwarf who cast a spell turning Gwen's true love into a bear. 

Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech. Salamanca Tree Hiddle travels from Ohio to Idaho with her grandparents. Along the way, she tells them her friend, Phoebe's story, while her own story begins to unfold. This was one of my very favorite books growing up and I was excited to share it with Corbyn and Peyton. Rog thought it was too sad for them, but unfortunately sometimes life is sad.

Books We Listened to in the Car


A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park. This book, set in 12th century Korea, tells the story of Tree-ear, a 13-year-old orphan who lives under a bridge in Ch'ulp'o, a famous potters' village. He is fascinated with the potter's craft and dreams of becoming a master potter. He convinces master potter, Min, to take him on as his helper, but is disappointed with the amount of actual pottery he is doing. But he's determined to prove himself and will do anything to achieve his dream. This book was just delightful and was so fun to listen to with the kids (although they definitely weren't sure about it at first).

Holes by Louis Sachar. Stanley Yelnats' family has a history of bad luck, so he's not surprised when he is sent to Camp Green Lake as punishment for a crime he didn't commit. The boys there are forced to dig a hole a day, five feet deep, five feet across in the hard earth of the dried-up lake bed. I never had read this highly-popular Newbery winner and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

A Long Way from Chicago by Richard Peck. Joey and Alice, two city slickers from Chicago, make an annual summer visit to Grandma Dowdel's seemingly sleepy Illinois town. Each visit is funnier than the year before. This book seemed highly appropriate with our Spring Break visit to Chicago coming right up when we started it. We enjoyed it although I can't say I loved it. 

Yay for a good first quarter of reading! So far I've been keeping things rolling for a good second quarter as well.

0 comments: