Thursday, March 25, 2010

Allergic

I am allergic to dogs. VERY allergic to dogs. And it just so happens that the people who owned our house before us had a dog. A VERY big dog. I didn't think it would be a problem because they took the dog with them when they moved. But I didn't take into account one thing - dander. We've vacuumed multiple times, but every time I go over there I start sneezing and coughing. My eyes start to itch and then I feel my airway start to close off.

Last Friday night we were over at our house putting together our bed which involved plenty of kneeling on the ground. Saturday night I put on the same pants I had been wearing on Friday night when we went over to the Pughs to watch BYU play in the NCAA tournament. Soon I started feeling my dog allergy symptoms come back. I couldn't figure out what was going on, but then suddenly it hit me - it's my pants!

So we decided we would have to take more drastic measures to get rid of the dander. This morning we had our carpets cleaned. Pray that it worked, so I don't die when we move into our house this weekend!!

They may be cute, but they're definitely not my best friend.

8 comments:

Roger said...

oh, they're sooooo cute!!! I love dogs. One day it may come down to a decision... Chief or the dog. You guess which I will choose.

Jaxon's Mommy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jaxon's Mommy said...

They make drugs for that, Shauna. You may have to take one (or several) for the team!

Good Luck!

Kristen Derrick Alsup said...

Yikes, I had the exact same problem when we moved into our home (except it was cats). We had our carpet cleaned and I'm sure you've cleaned the place but it helps if you clean and wipe down every single horizontal surface in the place multiple times. Oh, and vacuum out all the vents a few times too. It took us like three months of vacuuming daily for the place to stop bothering me. Sorry. Oh and I don't know if you're up for it but I know my doc let me take OTC non-drowsy Claritin, (ok even when you're pregnant) if you absolutely can't survive any other way. Sorry for the long random comment but I thought it might help. Congrats on the baby.

Mom Lori said...

I hope the carpet cleaning does the trick :)

That's a good idea to vacuum out the vents. Maybe there is dander lurking there ready to be circulated.

Let's get Roger a beanie baby dog (I bet I can find one in my storage room) That's the perfect pet :)

tracy said...

No, the perfect pet is one of those cute, furry toy hamsters that spends it's "life" running through mazes and in a wheel going nowhere.

My life.

Sorries about the sneezies!

Emily said...

I'm glad I could help you out with the realization of cleaning carpets. Ha ha.

But most of all, I'm SO glad I'm not allergic to dogs! That little puppy is adorable and I want him in my house now.

The Hale Family said...

Oh, so sad. I hope cleaning the carpets help! What a cute picture..