Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I'm a Reader

I've never been much of a reader. I enjoy reading when I find a good series (like Harry Potter), but I've never considered reading one of my hobbies. That being said, I think it's important to read to keep that part of my brain functioning properly now that I'm not in school anymore. And when I'm done working (in a short 28 work days), I'll likely have more time for reading.

So when some girls in my ward started a book club (not associated with our ward), I jumped on the opportunity to have a reason to read. Because it isn't associated with our ward, I'll be able to continue to go when we move into our house and we aren't in the ward anymore. And the girls in the book club are some of my favorite people from the ward, so I'm glad I'll have an excuse to get to see them.

At our first book club meeting, Rachel read us a page from The Wednesday Wars (by Gary D. Schmidt). I decided to read that book in addition to The Alchemist (by Paulo Coelho, the book we picked to read to discuss at our next meeting). I finished The Wednesday Wars last night and I loved it! It was a delightful, easy read. And I also learned a lot about the Vietnam war while I was at it. I would definitely recommend it!


I'll probably be posting about the books I read to keep me motivated. Hopefully this won't be boring for you. Maybe it will give you ideas for books to read.

9 comments:

Mom Lori said...

Read Shauna Read :)

I am always amazed that anyone has time to read. The only thing I get read is the Ensign magazine and some scriptures:(

Roger said...

So far the alchemist is really good.

Brigitte said...

I love that you're doing this! I've sort of been doing the same, so I would love to see your book reviews :)

tracy said...

Yay, books! Lise reccomended "The Alchemist" to me a loooong time ago and i thought it was so good, i read a couple more of Paul Choello's (Sp wrong!) books.
On my "must tell people to read list this minute" (the actual list is probably 50 books long!)

"House Rules" Jodi Picoult
"Autobiography of an Execution"
David Dow
Soooo excellent. About a defense Attorney who actually cares about the law...and his clients. If you only have/want a couple minutes p l e a s e read pages 118-120!
"Roof Tops of Terhan"
Mahbod Seraji My current absolute favorite. The descriptions in parts remind me of a dear friend from USU.

Guess who hit on one of my favorite topics...! And gave me an excuse to "Hog the Blog"?

Sooooo looking forward to hearing your reviews...BTW, i hear book groups are just a good excuse for a girls night out....kidding! Well, it w a s on "Malcom in the Middle" :) Hilarious episode!

PS Mom Lori What i s it that keeps you so busy??? Tax time, oh yeah.

tracy said...

The Alchemist has a "urmim and thumum" i can't spell, but interesting, anyhow.... ;)

Even more interesting...verification is "gandi"
"Namaste"

tracy said...

Oh no!!! "Correction"! (Geddit?!) In "Autobiograpy og an Execution", it's pages 218-220...218-220....as if anyone will actually do it...but just in "case"...!!!!!!!!!!!218-220!!!!!

Kris and Megan said...

awesome! i love book clubs too, i'm starting one down here but used to have one in utah too! it is definitely motivating!! you should read the help... you won't need any motivation at all, it is so fantastic in itself and will keep you reading!!

Ashley said...

I enjoyed The Alchemist. I heard that it was a life changing book, but to be honest, when you have the gospel in your life, it isn't quite as life changing as it could be. Still a good read and very motivational.

tracy said...

Matthew, Mark, Luke or John? ;)