Tuesday, October 16, 2018

RS Garden Party

Since we had just done a nice, big Relief Society dinner for Christmas, we thought we could do something a little simpler for the Relief Society birthday celebration in March. We decided on a garden party theme to celebrate the arrival of spring which was just around the corner. 


For decorations I painted some Mason jars in various spring colors and filled them with tulips from Costco.



(I also pulled out some of my spring flower decorations and we used those in various places around the room.)

Rog had learned from home teaching that Brother and Sister Jensen (a former member of the stake presidency and his wife) had a beautiful garden, so we asked them to give some gardening tips and talk about the spiritual lessons we can learn from gardening.

Then we had some refreshments and let the sisters visit with each other.

The Italian soda bar was a big hit last year and I had straws to use up, so we did that again.


For some "healthy" refreshments we had fruit salsa with cinnamon chips, garden bruschetta, and veggie sticks in dip.


For dessert I made flower cupcakes.


And a sister who was helping on the committee made a fruit tart and a few other dessert options.


We had a table set up for the sisters to plant some flower seeds in terra cotta pots.


I ordered them from the Dollar Tree and they were only 50 cents a pot! I printed off a quote from Gene R. Cook about gardening to go on them and tie it all together.


I finally had figured out how to effectively use my activities committee chair and we had assembled a committee of volunteers to help, so this was definitely the easiest activity I was in charge of. Unfortunately (as I mentioned in this post) a few weeks before this activity my committee chair was released, but she stepped up and helped anyway. I was worried about who we were going to get to replace her until a few weeks after this activity we had another ward boundary change and we were moved to a different ward (and then it wasn't my problem anymore).

1 comments:

Roger said...

You're really good at that stuff. Nice work.