Thursday, October 16, 2008

21 Days to Form a Habit

Lately I have become very bad at getting up when my alarm goes off. I know that I need to get up and exercise, but because I am not supposed to run until I go to my follow-up appointment (still a week away...GRRR!), I am very unmotivated to get up and go on a walk.

Yesterday I decided that I have had enough of my laziness. Even if it is just a walk, I really do feel better when I do some sort of exercise before work. I've heard that it takes 21 days to form a habit. So for the 21 days I am not going to let myself push the snooze button. And then hopefully when it's over, not pushing the snooze button will be a habit!

Today was day 1 and I am happy to report that I did not push the snooze button, I got up and went on a very nice walk up to campus. I got to see the sun coming over the mountains and it was just lovely.

To motivate myself, I am going to keep track of what day I am on by writing the number of days it has been since I pushed the snooze button on the calendar in our bedroom. Today I wrote a big 1 in orange because I am excited that it's autumn!

3 comments:

Emily said...

We can be un-lazy together when I move down there!

Mom Lori said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mom Lori said...

Last time I woke up early to exercise I broke my arm while riding my bike!
Maybe walking would be safer at that time of day.