Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Recovery Update

My surgery was last Tuesday (a week ago), so I figured I should update you all on my recovery. And since I am waiting for a report to run (it takes an hour and can't be interrupted), I figured I'd do it now.

I did end up working last Thursday as planned, but only because I knew I wasn't going to be working Friday and I didn't want to use more than 3 days worth of PTO in one week! Thursday night we drove down to St. George for the St. George Marathon. Roger's mom walked the marathon, so his whole family came to cheer her on (more on this in another blog). Anyway, work on Thursday was fine. Of course I would have rather been home sleeping, but I survived.

All weekend I was kind of a grumpy Chief. I was tired and it seemed like every time I stood up the bubbles from the carbon dioxide they pumped me up with that hadn't found a way out yet would all rush to my shoulders and it hurt. But other than that, I was fine.

On Friday we called to schedule my follow-up appointment and they told us 3 weeks was the soonest they could schedule it. I was VERY annoyed with this because Dr. Jacob told us to schedule it for 1-2 weeks from my surgery. And he told me "to take it easy" until I came to my follow-up appointment. No running, biking, lifting anything over 15 pounds, etc...

They also said that the pathology report of my cyst would take another week or two. I had remembered Dr. Jacob saying it would take 2-3 days, so I was also frustrated about that. And they said that they usually only call on the pathology report if it shows cancer. By this point I was freaking out. We told them to PLEASE, PLEASE call when the pathology report came no matter the result, but hung up unconvinced that they would actually do that.

So yesterday when they called and left a message saying they had the results from pathology, I almost had a heart attack because I was convinced that the only reason they were calling was that it did turn out to be cancerous! AHHH! I called them back and was very happy to find out that it was a regular boring cyst!! NO CANCER!!!! Yipee!

It seems that the bubbles have all found a way out and I can finally make it through the day without a nap, so the only evidence of my surgery is my ugly, multi-colored abdomen. It turns out I bruise pretty easily, so my stomach is every shade of the rainbow!

Now that I am pretty much healed, I want to say thank you to everyone that helped me during this adventure. Thank you Grandma and Grandpa Ford for bringing dinner all the way from Salt Lake, thank you Diana and Jason for keeping me company while Roger was at the temple Tuesday night, thank you Rachel and Bryan Martinez for your yummy tacos, thank you mom for listening to me and taking care of me even when you were far away, and thank you to everyone that asked how I was doing. Finally, thank you to my wonderful husband for taking care of me, for putting up with me when I was grumpy, and for loving me! I love you babe!

5 comments:

Heather and Parley said...

I didn't know you had surgery! that's no fun. Pretty sad we work in the same building and i had to read your blog to find out! I'll be sure and process your PTO :) Hope you are feeling better.

Anonymous said...

I love you too. Even when you are grumpy.

tracy said...

Yay! i'm soooo relieved to hear everything turned out okay...i was getting worried, as you hadn't written in so long...ready to get ahold of one of my "contacts"...!

As for Betsy and the gang, guess they got left behind, in in "no (wo)man's land"...ah, well...

prayers and oh, yes....a Blessed Yom Kippur!
love, tracy

tracy said...

Where i s everybody...? Ah vey, i guess they have lives....gah! Oh well, hi Shauna and Roger...and all the ships at sea....off to my chatti job..."Would you like fries with that...?" Sigh. :p

i heart you, tracy

Emily said...

Glad to hear that you are cancer free!! Woo!