Friday, June 28, 2013

Last Weekend

Ugh, last weekend... Saturday was pretty good, but Sunday was awful. And what was even more awful was that it was only the start of the awfulness that was to come. Monday and Tuesday were equally awful. Let's start at the beginning. (This is mostly for my memory, so if you don't want to read about a horrible case of the stomach flu at our house, feel free to skip this blog.)

Saturday morning I found some throw up in Peyton's crib. It looked a little red (like blood), but she had some craisins close to bed time, so I thought maybe it was just that. She was acting pretty close to normal all day, so I decided that it was just because she had eaten junk all day Friday while Corbyn was potty training.

Saturday was day 2 of potty training and it wasn't too terrible. It helped a lot that Rog was home, so we could take turns watching him and helping him remember to use the potty. I was able to go on my long run (4.5 miles - training for the Speedy Spaniard 10K on July 24) and Rog was able to go for a bike ride. In the afternoon he let me sneak off and do a few errands. I had a return to do at Gap and while I was there I figured I'd look around to see if I could find a shirt for me. I found one that was on sale for $10. Before I left the mall, I decided to just peak in Aeropostale for a minute. I hit the jackpot with 3 shirts for $3.99 each! That's 4 new shirts for $21.97 + tax. Pretty good! I also got us a new trash can at Bed Bath & Beyond because our old one was white and it was looking pretty horrible. And this one locks, so Peyton won't be able to throw stuff away!

My parents came up that afternoon for a relative's mission farewell the next day. They got us Cafe Rio for dinner and we played Sequence after getting the kids to bed. My dad and I were on a team and we came from behind to win both times!

Sunday morning came and Peyton woke up early. She wouldn't go back to sleep in our bed like she normally does, so I went to put her back in her crib. That's when I found more throw up and this time I knew it definitely had blood in there. I freaked out and we almost rushed her straight to the ER. Luckily we decided to call the on-call doctor which just so happened to be our doctor that night. He said we were ok to watch her because it was a small amount of blood and she was acting normal. I was still worried, so I called Dr. Jason. (Soooooooo nice to have a doctor in the family!) He agreed with what our doctor said and explained a little more which made me feel a whole lot better. While I was on the phone with him, Peyton threw up all her breakfast (but just food, no blood this time - phew). And then threw up a few more times throughout the day. That was good because it meant she probably just had a virus and the blood was from forcefully throwing up while her stomach was pretty much empty.

Rog had meetings starting at 8 am and he didn't come home until 3 pm. It was a long day for me taking care of a sick baby girl and continuing to potty train Corbyn. Peyton stopped throwing up, but then had diarrhea the rest of the day and had no appetite for food and drank next to nothing.

After we went to bed Sunday night, Rog started violently throwing up for hours. Peyton wasn't sleeping well and I could tell Rog was really sick. The first counselor in the bishopric was able to come give him a blessing before he left for work and he started to do a little better after that. He stayed home from work and pretty much confined himself to our bedroom upstairs while I tried to keep the kids quiet, so he could get some rest. Peyton was doing a little better, but still didn't have much of an appetite. She threw up one more time after dinner, but then finally started to get better after that.

Tuesday morning Corbyn threw up once, but then was pretty much fine the rest of the day. He didn't want to do much, so we watched a lot of movies. He had some diarrhea which was really fun with potty training, but he handled it like a champ. (I'm just really glad he got a minor case of this sickness and that it didn't derail all our potty training efforts!)

So basically it was not a fun 3 days at all! This post from Rachel was rather timely and I could not agree more.

"Motherhood is not a hobby, it is a calling. It is not something to do if you can squeeze the time in. It is what God gave you time for." 
- Elder Neil L. Anderson

I'm so grateful I have the opportunity to be a mother - even on weekends like this one when I get thrown up on and have to clean up potty training puddles.
Posted by Picasa


Mom Lori said...

You have the best of times and the worst of times with parenting and you definitely saw some of the worst recently! Glad you stayed healthy!

Relieved you didn't post any throw up photos :)