Monday, April 13, 2009

Defeated

by my knee... stupid IT band! I have been putting off blogging about this because I've been hoping that I would magically be healed. But unfortunately that hasn't happened. So this Saturday we are running the Salt Lake City 5K instead of the Half Marathon. I was worried this might happen, so we waited to sign up for the race until the last possible second. I'm very disappointed because this means I won't be able to accomplish my New Year's Resolution to run 2 half marathons in 2009. I'm going to modify my goal to run as many races as I can (hopefully adding up to 26 miles in total). Isn't it interesting how our bodies are all made differently? I know a guy that used to be in our ward that ran in the Beijing Summer Olympics last summer. Apparently he runs 15 miles a day. Obviously I wasn't made like that because my knee starts screaming in pain when I get up past 15-20 miles in one week. PATHETIC! I'm going to go see a Physical Therapist and see if I can learn some stretches/strengthening exercises to do. Maybe by the end of the summer I'll be able to do a half marathon. The heart is willing, but the body is weak. Such is life!

3 comments:

roger said...

That IT band should take some advice from me and leave Chief alone. Once she sets her mind to something it usually happens.

ashley said...

Man, I'm sorry Shauna. I know exactly how you feel! I've had a lot of problems with my IT band as well. I learned some stretches to help stretch it out before I run and it has changed everything. It still hurts occasionally on the long runs, but not as bad as it did before! Good luck and hopefully your physical therapist will be able to help! We'll have to look out for you guys on Saturday :) I'm getting so nervous/excited!

Mom Lori said...

I'm sorry your knee is preventing you from reaching your goal. At least you achieve those things that matter most.

Hope your run goes well.....

Run Roger Run!
Run Shauna Run!