Friday, April 17, 2009

Easter

For Easter we went to dinner at my grandparents. We started with an Easter egg hunt. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures because I was too busy finding more eggs than anyone else! Then we had a beautiful dinner complete with ham, turkey, rolls, funeral potatoes, asparagus, green bean casserole, yams, and cheesecake for dessert. I spent the morning making the rolls and funeral potatoes from scratch.

Because I so lamely didn't take any other pictures, I decided to share my recipe for rolls because they are wonderful and easy.

1 tablespoon dry yeast
1 cup warm water, divided
½ cup instant powdered milk
¼ cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup butter, softened
3 cups flour

Combine ½ cup of the warm water with the yeast; set aside. In mixing bowl, mix together the other cup of water with the powdered milk, sugar, egg, salt, butter, and ½ cup of the flour. Add the softened yeast and blend. Pour in remaining flour slowly while mixing and knead for 10 to 15 minutes. *Tip: If you use margarine instead of butter, you will need about an extra ½ cup of flour. (Keep adding flour until the dough isn't sticky anymore.) Place dough in an oiled bowl and let rise until double in size (about an hour).

Roll out into a large circle on a floured surface and cut with a pizza cutter or knife into 12 segments.

Roll up “croissant-style” and place on greased cookie sheets.

Let rise for 15 minutes, then bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.

2 comments:

Mom Lori said...

I wish we could have been there. Why does Saint George have to be so far away from Salt Lake?

Shauna's right, the rolls are delicious.

I hear Shauna found the most eggs, and Roger found the most money in
his eggs!

Roger said...

The rolls are really good