Friday, December 19, 2008

I DO NOT like the dentist

Growing up I didn't have a problem with the dentist. But this all changed about a year and a half ago. If any of you have been on the BYU Health plan, you know it doesn't count as dental insurance. They give you wholesale prices or 20% off; i.e., you have to pay 80%. So going to the dentist can be very expensive. While we were on the BYU Health plan, we went in for our 6 month appointment and paid for the whole cleaning and x-ray thing. I had been to this dentist before and I thought he was fine. But this time he told me I had 6 cavities... I cried the rest of the day.

Because having all 6 "cavities" would have been equivalent to the cost of a semester at BYU (I'm exaggerating, but you get the idea), we went down to Boulder, Nevada where Roger has a great uncle who is a dentist. When we got there, he took one look at my teeth and said that our dentist must be a liar because I only had one cavity...MAYBE. He filled that cavity, but said that if I was a regular patient of his, he would have waited 6 months.

Now we have real dental insurance through APX and for obvious reasons, a different dentist. Our current dentist is actually in the same building as our old dentist. Every time I pass the liar dentist I feel like going in there and giving him a piece of my mind, but so far I have restrained myself.

I like our current dentist much better. 6 months ago, I had zero cavities and Rog had one. This time we traded places, Rog had zero and I had one. Luckily mine was a little baby one. When I went in to have it filled, he said that it was the perfect kind for a board review. Apparently dentists have to fill a cavity in front of a board before they can become a practicing dentist. He said my cavity would be perfect for that because it was just barely big enough to need to be filled.

Unfortunately after I got home from my appointment, I realized that the filling was too low, so when I bit down, I wasn't biting on all my teeth. Rog asked about it at his appointment and they said just to come in and they'd drill it down for me. So after 3 trips to the dentist in 2 weeks, I am cavity free again. As I said, I DO NOT like the dentist.

2 comments:

Mom Lori said...

Good thing you switched dentists!

tracy said...

Ow! That bites!